ELKANA – Biological Farming Association The Biological Farming Association Elkana is a nongovernmental organization aimed at improvement of the socioeconomic conditions of the Georgian population and environmental protection through the fostering the development of sustainable organic farming and increasing self-reliance of the rural population.
Elkana was founded in 1994 and its initial activities were limited to advisory services of farmers; at present, the organization’s scope of activity has widened and includes:
– Sustainable & organic farming extension and training;
– Organic market promotion in Georgia;
– Conservation and sustainable utilization of agricultural diversity;
– Supporting of business activities of organic farmers, farmer groups;
– Product development and promotion on local and international markets;
– Rural tourism and the valorisation of traditional food and wine production & processing;
– Public awareness on the importance of organic farming and traditional varieties;
– Advocacy for farmers’ rights.